Blood Orange Sticky Buns
By Chef Sally Camacho Mueller
Preparation: 60 minutes
Cooking: 12 hours
- In an electric mixer with the hook attachment, place bread flour, granulated sugar, yeast, milk, Blood orange juice, butter, sea salt, and Blood orange zest.
- Place on speed 1 for 4 minutes. Scrape any dough from sides of the bowl.
- Place on speed 2 for 8-10 minutes or until you can check for gluten development by being able to stretch the dough paper thin without it tearing.
- Place dough in a clean bowl with enough room for the dough to double. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Remove dough from the refrigerator. On a lightly floured surface roll dough into a 13” x 15” rectangle.
- With an off-set spatula, spread the schmear (instructions below) onto the dough in an even layer. With the 15” width closest to you, roll the dough like a jelly roll.
- Cut the long roll into ten 1.5" pieces. Place cut side of roll onto the cooled caramel topping in your pan (instructions below). Cover with plastic wrap tightly. Allow to proof at room temperature for 2-2 ½ hours.
- Once dough has proofed, preheat oven to 375 degrees F and bake for 20-25 minutes or until top is evenly brown.
- Using oven mittens, place a plate over the baked sticky buns. Invert quickly so that the caramel drips onto the plate and not on your hands.
- Decorate top with peeled and sliced Blood oranges. Serve warm.
- Place all ingredients in an electric mixer.
- Combine with the paddle attachment until well incorporated.
- Set aside until ready to assemble.
- In a medium saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup.
- On medium high heat, bring to a boil. Lower heat and allow to boil for 3-4 minutes to caramelize sugar.
- Break caramel by slowly pouring in Blood orange juice.
- Add sea salt. Boil caramel for 10-13 minutes or until caramel is reduced enough to cover the back of a spoon.
- Pour into an 8” cake pan and allow to cool to room temperature.