ORANGE UPSIDE-DOWN OAT CAKE
Fragrant, delicious and citrusy? Sign us up.
PREPARATION: 30 minutes
COOKING: 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix oats, raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg and Sunkist® orange zest in a heat-proof container and pour measured boiling water over mixture. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pan and orange layer and put the butter in a 9-inch nonstick round cake pan and place in the oven until the butter is just melted, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Leaving the peel of the Sunkist Navel orange, cut the ends and slice into 8 to 10 thin slices.
- Sprinkle with the 3 tbsp. of brown sugar, and then lay out the Sunkist Navel orange slices in a pretty pattern.
- In a mixer or large bowl, combine the 2/3 cup brown sugar, granulated sugar, egg and oil, and mix well.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and salt, and then add this mixture to the sugar mixture
- Add plumped oat mixture and pecans. Mix until well combined.
- Without moving the patterned orange layer, add batter into the cake pan carefully and then lightly rap pan on counter to release any bubbles.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 45 to 55 minutes, or until cake is golden.
- After letting sit for 5 minutes after removing from oven, loosen sides of cake from pan with a table knife, and then immediately invert cake onto a large plate.